One of the greatest challenges for a transcriptionist is working with poor quality audio files that have been recorded in suboptimal conditions with background noise or other interference. These types of files can dramatically affect the speed and cost at which transcription occurs. Other factors that can slow down the speed of transcription include the number of speakers per recording and the clarity and speed of speech itself. The good news is that creating an excellent quality audio file that’s perfect for transcription is a relatively simple and intuitive process. Here are a few quick tips to help streamline your transcription experience:
• Digital Voice Recorder – Ensure you use a good quality recorder and check the clarity of recording via the playback function before starting.
• Background Noise – Always record audio in a quiet environment free from background noise such as loud fans, kettles, traffic noise, people talking, et cetera. Try to find an enclosed space and minimise interruptions by placing a sign on your door to let colleagues know that a recording is in progress.
• Onsite Recording – Where possible, record meetings or interviews in person rather than over a telephone or teleconference, as the sound quality is often diminished over long distance calls.
• Proximity of Recorder – Check that your recorder is close enough to the sound source to capture it clearly.
• Speech – Speak as slowly, loudly and clearly as possible.
• Interruptions – Try to avoid talking over or interrupting a speaker, as simultaneous voices can be impossible to distinguish on a recording. A great idea is to remind speakers about these considerations prior to recording, and to monitor the session as it progresses, so that you can moderate the pace if people begin speaking quickly or talking over one another.
• Context – Provide a brief background description about your company and the speakers present to the transcriptionist, to help them identify voices and provide a context.
At TTP we pride ourselves on providing a fast, accurate and reliable transcription service to each and every client. To achieve this outcome we believe in educating our clients on the best possible way to minimise cost and turn-around times, and we enjoy working collaboratively with our clients to ensure as smooth a transition as possible. We hope this information has been of value to you. Please leave a comment below with any questions or feedback!